Monday, September 21, 2009

Two Hearts and Homemade Tomato Soup

Can you believe it is already fall? With summer acting like spring through June, my best friend getting married in August, and Nate and I getting married in September, I hardly noticed summer had even started and I certainly had no time to even consider fall. But here it is, beautiful and crisp and lovely as always. And what is better in the fall than a good bowl of homemade tomato soup, grilled cheese, and someone to snuggle with? Nate and I have long had an addiction to the fire-roasted tomato soup at Paradise Bakery so I decided to take a stab at the recipe and surprise him with a yummy dinner last night. I made my own version of fire-roasted tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches with herb butter, and chocolate pudding with mint leaves. As always, he had to bear with me photographing the whole thing. :) Here are the results.


Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup















1 large onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

olive oil
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
14 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
14 oz. can tomato sauce
6 oz. can tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock
4 t salt
1 t pepper (to taste)
2 t basil
2 cups milk
Sour cream, fresh basil, and tortilla chips to garnish (optional)

In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil. Add garlic and saute a few more minutes. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, spices and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Add milk and continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.


Chocolate Pudding with Mint Leaves



Here is the pudding. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment